Below is a proposal for our project Brass + Glass to be created for the opening of the academic portion of the New School’s Kerrey Hall.
Brass + Glass
Quentin Tschofen & Joe Vilardi
Brass is a set of two compositions for brass quintet based on the properties of the
materials used in the façade of the building to be performed in the auditorium in a concert
• Two (2) trumpets
• One (1) French horn
• One (1) trombone
• One (1) tuba
• Two (2) or more hours of rehearsal time in the auditorium per composition, for a
total of at least four (4) hours.
Glass is an interactive installation in the 13th Street entrance that welcomes
visitors immediately into an interactive sonic environment. The physical space of the
lobby will be virtually divided into different sectors, each representing a different sound
made by glass. When a visitor enters one of the sectors, they will be recognized and
tracked by the Xbox Kinect and the respective sector’s sound will be produced. As
visitors move from one sector to another, there will be a blending of the sounds of
adjacent sectors. Sounds will be informed by the properties and use of glass in the
This project will be coded in C++ using OpenCV and Open Frameworks.
• Four (4) Xbox Kinect
• One (1) Mac computer (desktop, if possible)
• Six (6) monitor speakers and stands.
• Cables to connect the Kinects to the computer and the computer to the speakers
• Assistance with the setup (wiring) of the Kinects, speakers and computer.
• One full day to setup, test and debug the installation within the space.